Recommended books and resources on the topics of PHP coding, website design, WordPress development and more.
WordPress is by far my favorite Content Management System of today and I highly recommend it to anyone starting out building a new website. These resources will show you how to install, leverage and tweak WordPress to the max.
Books on WordPress
Wordpress for Beginners 2017: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Wordpress
Master Wordpress using our step-by-step visual approach (over 250 screenshots). This book is a major new release for 2017, covering the latest version of Wordpress.
Building a beautiful, professional looking Wordpress website, is no longer the domain of computer geeks. Wordpress makes it possible for anyone to create and run a website that looks great on any device - PC, Mac, tablet and phone, for hobby or business.
The primary goal of this book is to take anyone, even an absolute beginner, from zero to Wordpress "guru" in a few short hours. I'll hold your hand, step-by-step, all the way. You get to watch over my shoulder as we explore the Wordpress Dashboard.
Inside this book, veteran Wordpress expert Andy Williams will start at the very beginning. You'll learn:
- The two different versions of Wordpress.
- Website hosting and domain registrars. How to set this up with separate registrar and host, for more security.
- How to install Wordpress.
- An overview of the Dashboard including how to find hidden items.
- Cleaning out the stuff that is installed by default.
- Finding and installing Wordpress themes to instantly change the look and feel of your website.
- Plugins. What they are and how you can use them to create magnificent websites.
- How to update Wordpress, themes and plugins.
- Every single Dashboard setting, what they do, and what you should use in the settings of your website.
- How to find and use the RSS feeds on your site to help search engines find your content.
- The importance of user profiles, and how to assign a "Gravatar" image to your email address.
- How to create great navigation systems on your site, with custom menus, internal linking and related post sections.
- Enabling and dealing with visitor comments.
- Using the media library for images, video and more.
- The difference between pages and posts, and a simple way to know which one you should be using for each bit of content you publish on your website.
- Effective use of categories and tags. Using these incorrectly can get your site penalized or even banned from search engines.
- How to write posts, and even schedule them so they will be published at some future date.
- Using post revisions.
- Two different types of homepage. A blog style page v a more traditional "static" homepage.
- Using widgets on your site to add neat features.
You'll also be shown how to install and configure a few plugins to:
- Automatically take database backups and email them to you on a schedule you choose.
- Help reduce the amount of comment spam your site receives.
- Setup good SEO practices.
- Setup social sharing buttons on your site, so visitors can easily tell their friends about your great web pages.
Most people learn better when they can actually see what they are reading about, so one thing this book isn't, is shy about screenshots. There are over 250 of them, showing you exactly what you will see on your screen, and prompting you to take specific actions as you learn and master Wordpress. You may have heard that Wordpress has a steep learning curve. With this book, you won't even notice it. Each chapter ends with a "Tasks to Complete" section. By completing these tasks, you'll not only become proficient with Wordpress, you'll become confident at using Wordpress. By the end of the book, you'll be building great looking, professional Wordpress websites that look fantastic on any device.. And you'll enjoy doing it!
WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete BeginnerNOW UPDATED FOR 2017!
If you are a small business owner or a hopeful Internet entrepreneur, then you know you need a professional website.
The first challenge is, how do you build that website without needing to learn how to do computer programming or having to sell your first-born to get a website built for you?
The second challenge is, how do you get a professionally-designed and beautiful website built that won't cost you mega-bucks per month to maintain?
Because let's face it, it is hard to justify the high costs of building an elaborate website, when you are not yet sure a website will be a good investment of your time and money.
The good news is that there is a better - and much less expensive - way to get a beautiful website made, with just a few clicks of your mouse.WordPress started in 2003, with the goal of providing ordinary people a simple way to build a website for free. Today, WordPress is being used on millions of websites, including those of many Fortune 500 companies.
The beautiful thing about WordPress as a website content management system is that it is a fully-customizable experience, and it is very easy to use.
WordPress Themes define how a website will look - they cover website layout, color schemes, font colors, and page display elements. With over 2,000 Themes currently available, it is very easy to change the appearance of a website. With just the click of a mouse button you can change the look, feel and layout of your entire website without affecting the content. What used to take days to get looking right, now takes only minutes.
WordPress Plugins add functionality to a website - what you want the website to do for you or your visitors. With over 43,000 Plugins available, you will find that you can make your website do a lot of specialized tasks for you or your visitors. And with the power of plugins, you can add functionality to your website - track users and what they do, take online orders, manage content in new and unique ways - and more. Again, all with the click of a mouse button.
Now a #1 Amazon Best Seller, this popular, up-to-date, step-by-step guide by expert Sarah McHarry will walk you through the essential first steps to building your own website or blog using WordPress.
What you'll learn in this book:
- How to register your own domain and get the right WordPress hosting
- How to install WordPress with a few clicks of the mouse
- How to create a professional-looking, commerce-ready website with very little effort
- How to add and format your content
- How to use graphics and images
- All about themes, plugins, widgets and other WordPress tools ...and lots more...
Sarah shows you how to create a world-class website, quickly, easily and inexpensively, even if you have absolutely no current knowledge of how to build a website.
WordPress is so easy to use, and "WordPress To Go" will take what is already easy and make it even more simple - simple enough a monkey could do it! You'll know all the "gotchas" before setting up a WordPress site, discover how to make it content rich, and even how to attract the search engines! You'll gain traffic, exposure, and ultimately more business.
Get your copy of "WordPress To Go" now, and you’ll be a thriving WordPress webmaster in no time at all!
Professional WordPress: Design and DevelopmentThe highest rated WordPress development and design book on the market is back with an all new third edition.
Professional WordPress is the only WordPress book targeted to developers, with advanced content that exploits the full functionality of the most popular CMS in the world. Fully updated to align with WordPress 4.1, this edition has updated examples with all new screenshots, and full exploration of additional tasks made possible by the latest tools and features. You will gain insight into real projects that currently use WordPress as an application framework, as well as the basic usage and functionality of the system from a developer's perspective. The book's key features include detailed information and real-world examples that illustrate the concepts and techniques at work, plus code downloads and examples accessible through the companion website. Written by practicing WordPress developers, the content of this edition focuses on real world application of WordPress concepts that extend beyond the current WordPress version.
WordPress started in 2003 with a single bit of code to enhance the typography of everyday writing, and has grown to be the largest self-hosted website platform in the world. This book helps you use WordPress efficiently, effectively, and professionally, with new ideas and expert perspectives on full system exploitation.
- Get up to speed on the new features in WordPress 4.1
- Learn cutting edge uses of WordPress, including real-world projects
- Discover how to migrate existing websites to WordPress
- Understand current best practices and tools in WordPress development
WordPress was born out of a desire for an elegant, well-architected personal publishing system built on PHP and MySQL, and has evolved to be used as a full content management system through thousands of plugins, widgets, and themes. Professional WordPress is the essential developer's guide to this multifunctional system.